Residency Requirements

Any person enrolling in Santa Rosa Junior College is subject to the residency requirements determined by the Education Code of the state of California. Residence is classified as follows:


A resident student is one who has a legal residency in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester and who demonstrates the intent to remain.


A non-resident student is one who does not have legal residence in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester. Such students are required to pay a tuition fee.

All new students will be required to file an application and statement of residence.


A resident is a student who has residence in California for more than one year immediately preceding the opening day of instruction and has demonstrated an intent to remain. Demonstration of intent may be attained by filing California State Income Tax forms or registration to vote in state and local elections or other reasonable evidence of permanent stay in California, such as vehicle registration, work documentation, etc.

  1. Persons who are 18 years of age or older may establish residency in accordance with the above statement. Year of residency must begin after the eighteenth birthday.
  2. Persons who are under 18 years of age may establish residency in accordance with the above “Resident” definition and the following:
    1. Married minors may establish their own residence.
    2. The residence of the supporting parent is the student’s residence. In the event of death of both parents, the minor may determine his/her own residence.
    3. The residence of an unmarried minor who has a parent living cannot be changed by his/her own act, by appointment of a legal guardian, or by relinquishment of a parent’s right of control. E.C.S68000
  3. A student who has U.S. “permanent residence status” may establish residency in accordance with the preceding “Resident” definition.

  4. Refugees, asylees, and other applicants for legal immigration status may establish residency in accordance with the preceding “Resident” definition.

The residency determination date is the day prior to the first day of instruction of each semester. The current Schedule of Classes gives dates for the current semester.

All students classified as non-resident are required to pay a nonresident tuition fee per unit per semester at the time of registration. This fee is subject to annual change.

A non-resident student enrolled (as a resident) in error, because of falsification of information will be excluded from classes upon notification pending payment of the fee, shall not be readmitted during the semester or summer session from which he/she was excluded, and shall not be admitted to any subsequent semester or session until all previously incurred tuition obligations are paid.


Military personnel on active duty in California, their spouses and dependent children exempt from non-resident fees. Other exemptions to tuition for military personnel may be available pursuant to Veterans Access Choice and Accountability (VACA). Contact Admissions & Records for information or go to


Exemption from non-resident tuition is available to certain non-resident students who attended high school in California for at least three years and received a California high school diploma, or meet equivalent requirements as specified by related statutes. Contact Admissions & Records for information and an exemption request form or go to:

Non-resident students do not automatically become residents by being in California for one year. A student seeking reclassification from non-resident to resident status must complete and file a Residency Reclassification Request Form providing evidence of both physical presence and intent to establish permanent California residency more than one year prior to the start of the semester in which the student is seeking reclassification. The burden of proof is on the student to clearly demonstrate physical presence in California, intent to establish California residency and, in the case of students changing from non-resident to resident, financial independence from non-resident parents.