The District Sustainability Committee is a collaboration between faculty, staff, administrators, and students committed to expanding and supporting sustainability initiatives at SRJC. A primary goal is to facilitate the development, implementation, and management of Santa Rosa Junior College’s Strategic Plan: Strategy 4, Goal 2 “Promote a community culture of sustainability”. This is done by identifying “annual goals for sustainability, including the creation and regular assessment of a District Sustainability Plan that achieves the Presidential Climate Commitment” and promoting a culture that promotes environmental stewardship, economic vitality, and social equity throughout all district sites.
The Sustainability Committee is committed to the following functions:
- Promote sustainability across all designated domains: Transportation, Curriculum and Education, Engagement and Culture, Food, Economics, Resource Use and Climate, Built Environment, Administration and Organization
- Monitor and provide input to district-wide policies and projects, especially construction, renovation, and purchasing, to assure implementation of green practices and principles, in coordination with district leadership
- Network with campus and community sustainability organizations and develop student trainings, events, and internships;
- Create sustainability-related professional development opportunities
- Oversee and promote environmental education at SRJC, including supporting the development of environmental courses and majors, administering the Global/Environment AS requirement, facilitating the Environmental Forum course, awarding Foundation scholarships, and assisting faculty across all disciplines to incorporate sustainability issues into their curricula.
Interested students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to get involved by taking the following actions:
- Attend a committee meeting (fourth Thursday of months: Aug, Sept, Oct, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, 3:00-4:30PM) and communicate the changes and programs that you would like to see happen.
- Students: Participate with other students in our student-led sustainability group. For more info see the Student Involvement page (https://sustainability.santarosa.edu/student-involvement).
- Take a class in an environmental field such as environmental studies, natural resources management, conservation, sustainable agriculture, or photovoltaics/solar design. See the list of courses that have sustainability as a theme at: https://sustainability.santarosa.edu/sustainability-courses-srjc.
For more information about district-wide sustainability, visit SRJC’s Sustainability website (https://sustainability.santarosa.edu/).